Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 under Windows 10

QuickCam 5000 Pro isn't recognized by the system automatically

Is it possible to get good old QuickCam Pro 5000 working under Windows 10? Yes, it is! And it’s quick and easy.

Learn how to find and install the matching driver.

Recently I updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10. Everything went well except installation of my pretty old Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000. Just connecting it doesn’t work because Windows 10 doesn’t recognize it automatically. Official website of Logitech also wasn’t very helpful as they don’t offer a single driver download for this product anymore.

Doing some research brought me to this simple solution.

Prerequisites

• 7-Zip has to be installed
    You have to have 7-Zip installed to follow this guide (which in any case is a good idea as it is one of the basic tools that should be present on any computer). If you don’t have it installed already, get it here: https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

1. Download driver

Download the installation file from official Logitech-Server: ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/quickcam/

The most recent file that worked for me was qc1110_x64.exe. Later versions of the driver don’t seem to support the QuickCam Pro 5000 anymore.

2. Unpack the .exe file

Trying to install QuickCam 5000 Pro driver leads to error

Executing the qc1110_x64.exe file leads to an error because it is not Windows 10 compatible.

Extract contents of .exe file using 7-Zip

Therefore we need to extract the driver’s files using 7-Zip, e.g. using the context menu of the windows explorer.

3. Install driver

• Open the Windows device manager
  • Right click Unknown device and select Update driver from the context menu
  • Click Browse my computer for driver software
  • Enter or navigate to the directory where we just extracted our driver files into
  • Click Next

4. Done!

If everything went fine you should see a “Windows has successfully updated your drivers” and your Webcam appears as “Logitec QuickCam Pro 5000” under “Image devices”.

Consider buying me a coffee to keep my brain fueled ­čÖé

Tagged with: , ,
14 comments on “Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 under Windows 10
  1. Clie says:

Additional steps not mentioned which you might encounter.
    In step 3, windows might complain that the file has been tampered with, and it will fail to install. If this happens, you need to disable certificate signing temporary.
    Here’s how

After this, redo step 3 and it should work.

2. Petr Šlajs says:

Thank you very much !

3. dubi german says:

A great solution !
    I wonder why Logitech does not allow this… Make Money

4. Gabriella says:

OMG, you are an absolute star. I have been struggling with this for a week now ­čÖé

5. TK says:

Was excited to find this, but after following the directions it said Windows has determined it already has the best driver! Won’t let me update it (to an older version)

• Nerd Admin says:

Some people pointed out that current Windows 10 version seems to have the correct driver on board. In that case you just don’t need to use my workaround and already have the correct driver.

6. alex hause says:

My webcam fired up without a hitch but i have no software cd and no included software / app on my windows 10 for using the 5000 to take pictures and video. is there anything out there that you could recommend for basic picture and video taking and production?

• Nerd Admin says:

I only use it for videoconferences. So unfortunately I don’t have a good advice for a capturing software. But if someone else has, please feel free to comment.

7. Scott says:

I connected the Pro 5000 to my Win 10 computer and it recognized it and installed whatever needed to be installed automatically. I got instructions to reboot and it works fine.

• Nerd Admin says:

Well, that would be good news. Maybe there is no workaround needed anymore to get this little thing to work. Thank you for pointing that out.

8. Axel says:

Thank you, very good explained. When I updated an old Win 7 to Win 10 the cam used the old Win7 driver of logitech. As I put the cam to another Win10 PC installed without win7, I got this problem and solved it with your quick solution

9. Fidel says:

Absolutely thanks.

I have not used my webcam for 15 years and now I can use it thanks to your solution.

Tested today 2020-07-30

10. Angelina says:

Thank you very much! It helped A LOT!

11. Alain LEONARD says:

Thank you very much for your advice.
    My Webcam Logitech Po 5000 is Ok